A Denver Light Rail Accident Lawyer Will Advocate for Your Compensation
Light rail trains provide a vital service in Denver and across seven other counties, helping people get from Point A to Point B. They also have been involved in severe accidents that result in catastrophic and even life-threatening injuries. At Levine Law, we help people injured in light rail crashes and a wide range of other accidents seek compensation from those responsible. A Denver light rail accident attorney at our firm will evaluate your case, explain your rights and explore your options for obtaining money damages.
How Do Light Rail Accidents Happen in Denver?
Operated by the Regional Transportation District, the light rail system serves some 3 million people spanning more than 2,300 square miles. The RTD’s 100 miles of light rail tracks have unfortunately been the scene of several grisly crashes over the decades since the system was launched in 1969.
Like other types of accidents, light rail crashes happen in a number of different ways and are caused by a variety of factors. However, some of the most common causes of light rail crashes include:
- Operator error: The engineers who operate light rail trains are human and prone to mistakes, just like car, truck, and bus drivers. However, they have little room for error given the size of the trains, the number of people on board, and the speed they often travel.
- Operator distraction: Like car accidents, fatigue and distraction are commonly to blame in light rail accidents. Train operators work long shifts and are under pressure to keep tight timelines, resulting in stress and fatigue, leading to distraction and mistakes.
- Train and equipment malfunctions: RTD and its train operators must take certain steps to ensure that trains and related equipment are in safe working order. Defects and maintenance failures can and do happen, however, putting everyone in the vicinity of a malfunctioning train at risk.
- Track defects: Light rail tracks see significant wear and tear, thanks to their regular daily use. If left unaddressed, worn and damaged tracks pose a safety hazard.
- Signal and switch problems: Even the most experienced and cautious train operator can have trouble avoiding an accident when signals and switches malfunction.
- Railroad crossing issues: Lights and crossing gates provide a crucial function, alerting motorists and other traffic to oncoming trains. When they do not work properly, it can result in disaster.
How Can a Denver Light Rail Accident Attorney Help Me?
Anyone who has been injured in a light rail collision has the right to seek compensation from those responsible, whether it is a train operator, the RTD, a negligent parts or equipment manufacturer, or another party.
It is essential to consult a seasoned Denver light rail accident lawyer, who can thoroughly investigate the crash to determine how it happened and who is liable. A lawyer can also help you pursue money damages by building the strongest possible case.
Our lawyers are pleased to serve clients throughout Colorado, including in Denver, Colorado Springs, Ft. Collins, and Loveland. Contact us online to speak with a Denver light rail accident attorney.