Auto Accident InjuriesPrint Page
Denver Car Accident Attorney Protecting Injured Car Crash Victims
Automobile accidents occur every day in Denver, and some are more serious than others. In a best-case scenario, a car accident will cause only property damage or no damage at all. In other cases, auto accidents cause serious and lifelong injuries or death. Whenever you are injured in an auto accident, it is important to retain an experienced Denver car accident attorney to represent you.
Car accident victims can be compensated by the insurance company of the driver responsible for the crash or, in some cases, by their own insurer. However, insurance companies often aim to settle cases for the least amount of money possible, without fully considering your present and future needs. You will need a legal advocate on your side to help you secure the full compensation you deserve.
Common Types of Auto Accident Injuries
Auto accident injuries can occur in any crash, even slow-moving accidents or rear-end collisions. The severity of the injury depends upon the vehicles involved in the accident, the type of collision, the speed, and the force at which the collision occurred. For example, side-impact or head-on collisions tend to cause the most serious injuries. Large truck accidents will often cause more harm than incidents involving only passenger vehicles.
In any auto accident, however, an accident victim may experience one or more of the following injuries:
- Burn injuries
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord damage
- Brain injuries including concussions, brain damage or traumatic brain injury
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Neck or back injury
- Soft tissue injury
In many cases, auto accident injuries affect the quality of an injured person’s remaining life. For example, someone who is paralyzed by an auto accident may need lifelong adaptive care. A person who suffers from severe brain trauma may remain in a coma or persistent vegetative state, unable to perform even basic life functions independently. The life of the victim and his family members may be changed forever, and the injured person may be left with expensive medical bills and no ability to work to support himself or his family.
Six Steps You Should Take After an Auto Accident Occurs
Oftentimes, drivers and passengers don’t know what to do when they are involved in a motor vehicle collision. Emotions run high, particularly when serious injuries are involved. However, there are some important first steps you should take after an accident occurs, which include:
- Call for help. Make sure that everyone is safe, and if anyone is injured, call for an ambulance. You should also contact the police and request that they make an official report of the accident.
- Move your vehicle. If you are able to do so, be sure to move your vehicle off the road and out of the way of oncoming traffic.
- Obtain contact information. Be sure to write down the phone numbers, addresses, make, year and model of the cars, license plates, driver’s license numbers and insurance information of all drivers involved. You should also collect contact information from passengers and any eyewitnesses to the accident.
- Take photographs at the scene. If you have a cell phone, use your phone's camera to take pictures of all cars involved in the accident. You should also take photos of the accident scene, including the intersection, stop signs and traffic lights, skid marks and road conditions. Taking pictures can provide crucial evidence to support your car accident claim.
- Get a medical assessment of your injuries. As soon as possible after your accident, you should be seen by a health care provider. Even if you feel fine, it is important to visit your doctor because many symptoms associated with car accident injuries can take several days to appear.
- Consult with a Denver car accident attorney. Injuries from car accidents can lead to costly medical bills, lost wages and other expenses. An attorney experienced in car accident cases can outline your options and help you take the rights steps to protect and preserve your legal rights.
Get Compensation for Your Injuries With the Help of a Denver Car Accident Attorney
Under Colorado law, auto accident victims are not left out in the cold. An attorney can help injured victims to take legal action against the person or entity responsible for the crash. For example, a car maker can be sued if a car part is defective, or a negligent driver can be sued after making a dangerous driving decision that led to a crash.
Your Denver car accident attorney can help you determine who can be held responsible for compensating you after your injury. He or she can help gather evidence, interview witnesses, retain accident reconstruction and other experts and build a strong case. Your lawyer can also work to settle your case or prove your case in court so you can recover compensation.
If you or a loved one is injured in an auto accident, it is important to have legal representation you can trust. Levine Law can help. With more than 20 years of experience in auto accident cases, our Denver automobile accident lawyers are AV-rated and have been named as Super Lawyers and Top 100 Trial Lawyers. Contact us today by phone at (303) 333-8000 or online to schedule a free consultation.