Denver Auto Accident LawyerPrint Page
Helping Car Accident Victims Obtain Justice and Compensation
Car accidents happen every single day on Denver area roads and highways. Unfortunately, in many of these accidents, drivers and passengers suffer severe injuries, and in worst case scenarios, deaths occur. If you or someone you love has been hurt in an automobile crash, Denver auto accident lawyer Jordan Levine will explain your legal rights and fight to get you maximum compensation for your injuries.
Denver, Colorado Auto Accident Statistics
According to the Colorado Department of Transportation 2012 Statewide Crash Book, 17,021 crashes occurred on Denver County roads in 2012 alone. More than 1,500 of these Denver crashes involved injuries and 34 resulted in fatalities. Thousands more occurred throughout the state of Colorado. Unfortunately, automobile accidents far too often lead to serious injuries or death, and the costs of car accidents can be astronomical when factoring in medical costs and lost wages.
Auto accidents happen for many reasons. Some are caused by bad weather or poor road design, while others are caused by vehicle defects that cause malfunction. Many car crashes occur as a direct result of driver behavior. When a crash is caused by the negligent behavior of another driver, it is important to contact a qualified Denver auto accident lawyer as soon as possible after the accident. Attorney Jordan Levine of Levine Law has extensive experience representing individuals who have been injured in car crashes on Denver area roads. He understands what automobile accident victims are dealing with and fights to help his clients get maximum compensation for their injuries.
At Levine Law, we know that car crash victims and their families may not know where to turn when an accident happens - we are here to help you every step of the way. If you or a family member have been injured in an auto accident, we encourage you to contact us to schedule a free consultation with a member of our Denver legal team. We also invite you to review the information below which may answer many of the questions that you have about car accident cases.
- What are the most common causes of car crashes in Denver?
- Types of injuries that can happen in a car accident
- Understanding auto accident laws
- Damages that can be recovered in Denver car accident cases
- Six steps you should take after an auto accident occurs
What Are Some of the Most Common Causes of Car Crashes in Denver?
Whether you are behind the wheel of a vehicle or sitting in the passenger seat, getting into a car accident can alter the course of your life forever. Even with advanced technologies providing for increased safety features in automobiles, car accidents happen just about every minute of the day and many of these accidents result in serious injuries or death. While car accidents in Denver and across the country are caused by a number of different sources, driver error is one of the largest contributing factors to car accidents. Driver error can involve a wide range of careless and reckless behaviors, with some of the most common behaviors including:
- Distracted Driving. Talking or texting on cell phones, eating, reading, adjusting electronics and any other activity that causes a driver to take his or her eyes from the road can be deadly. When you are operating a vehicle, you cannot afford to be distracted - you need to keep 100% of your attention on the road at all times.
- Speeding. Although it can be tempting to drive above the speed limit particularly when you are in a hurry or running late, speeding causes thousands of serious car accidents every year. It is always best to adhere to the speed limit so that you can get to your destination safely.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Getting behind the wheel of a car when you have been drinking or are under the influence of drugs is one of the most dangerous things you can do. Not only are you putting your own life at risk, you are risking the lives of everyone else on the road.
- Reckless driving. Tailgating, running a stop sign or stop light, driving too fast for weather conditions and other reckless behaviors can result in deadly accidents. When you put the key in the ignition, you have a duty to drive safely at all times.
- Road Rage. Road rage incidents are a far too common occurrence on heavily-traveled highways in Denver and across the nation. These types of incidents are senseless and often lead to very serious accidents involving multiple vehicles.
Types of Injuries That Can Happen in a Car Accident
When a car accident occurs, drivers and passengers often suffer serious personal injuries, and in worst case situations, these injuries can be fatal. The impact from a collision can result in all types of trauma, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Whiplash and other neck and back injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Internal organ damage
- Chest injuries
- Pelvic and abdominal injuries
- Leg, knee and foot fractures
- Ligament damage
- Severed limbs
- Eye and dental injuries
- Loss of hearing
- Jaw and facial fractures
- Nerve damage
Car accident injuries often result in steep medical bills and ongoing rehabilitation expenses. Additionally, depending upon the severity of the injury, an accident victim may be off of work for an extended period of time during his or her recovery. Victims may also suffer from depression, post-traumatic stress disorders (PTSD) and other emotional problems when their lives are turned upside down from a motor vehicle accident.
It is important to recognize that injuries are not always immediately apparent after a collision. It can take several days for some medical conditions to appear, including serious head, back and neck injuries. This is why it is critical to be seen by a qualified health care provider who can fully assess your injuries as soon as possible after the car crash.
Understanding Denver's Auto Accident Laws
Throughout the state of Colorado, drivers are expected to behave in a reasonably safe manner. This means avoiding aggressive driving, staying within the speed limit, paying attention to what other drivers are doing and obeying all safety rules.
A Denver-area driver who fails to drive in a reasonably safe manner puts others at risk. Breaking the rules of the road or driving in an unsafe or careless way is considered a breach of legal duty and is called “negligence.” When a person is deemed legally negligent, he or she can be held responsible for the costs of all injuries that occur due to that negligence. In other words, if a person’s carelessness causes a car wreck, the careless driver must compensate the injured victim(s).
In auto accident cases, the injured person must prove that the other driver was negligent and that the negligence caused a crash. The injured person must also show how severe the injuries are in order to recover compensation. An injured victim can be compensated for his or her auto accident injuries either by settling in an out-of-court agreement with the responsible driver’s insurer or by filing a personal injury lawsuit with the courts.
Damages That Can Be Recovered in Denver Car Accident Cases
One of the first things car accident victims want to know when they meet with a Denver auto accident lawyer at our firm is what kinds of damages they can recover against a negligent or reckless driver. In auto accident cases, victims can recover financial compensation for the injuries and losses they have sustained, including compensation for:
- Past and Future Medical Care
- Loss of Income
- Property Losses
- Pain and Suffering
- Emotional Distress
- Disfigurement or Disability
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life
It is important to understand that car accident cases in Denver and across the state of Colorado are subject to a three-year statute of limitations. This means that you will only have three years from the date of the crash to file your car accident claim (with a few limited exceptions). If you fail to act within the three-year deadline, you could be permanently barred from pursuing legal action. Additionally, if the car crash resulted in a fatality, under Colorado law, you will generally only have two years to file a wrongful death action. Because the statutes of limitation can be confusing and so much is at stake, it is important to seek advice from a competent car accident attorney as soon as possible after your accident. An attorney experienced in handling Denver auto accident cases can make sure that you will not be prevented from pursuing a lawsuit against the responsible parties.
Six Steps You Should Take After an Auto Accident Occurs
Oftentimes, drivers and passengers don’t know what to do when they are involved in a motor vehicle collision. Emotions run high, particularly when serious injuries are involved. However, there are some important first steps you should take after an accident occurs, which include:
- Call for help. Make sure that everyone is safe, and if anyone is injured, call for an ambulance. You should also contact the police and request that they make an official report of the accident.
- Move your vehicle. If you are able to do so, be sure to move your vehicle off the road and out of the way of oncoming traffic.
- Obtain contact information. Be sure to write down the phone numbers, addresses, make, year and model of the cars, license plates, driver’s license numbers and insurance information of all drivers involved. You should also collect contact information from passengers and any eyewitnesses to the accident.
- Take photographs at the scene. If you have a cell phone, use your phone's camera to take pictures of all cars involved in the accident. You should also take photos of the accident scene, including the intersection, stop signs and traffic lights, skid marks and road conditions. Taking pictures can provide crucial evidence to support your car accident claim.
- Get a medical assessment of your injuries. As soon as possible after your accident, you should be seen by a health care provider. Even if you feel fine, it is important to visit your doctor because many symptoms associated with car accident injuries can take several days to appear.
- Consult a Denver auto accident lawyer. Injuries from car accidents can lead to costly medical bills, lost wages and other expenses. An attorney experienced in car accident cases can outline your options and help you take the rights steps to protect and preserve your legal rights.
Do I Need an Attorney if I am Injured in a Denver-Area Car Accident?
When you negotiate a settlement or go to court in a car accident case, the process can be challenging. At every step, you will deal with insurance company experts, complex laws and confusing court rules. It is always better to have an experienced auto accident lawyer on your side to represent your interests and protect your rights. At Levine Law, our Denver-area attorneys operate on a no/win, no/fee policy, so you pay nothing unless you receive compensation.
The legal team at our firm understands that dealing with the aftermath of an auto accident can be emotionally overwhelming for victims and their families. We know there are many complicated issues that must be addressed, and we are here to help you every step of the way. Our Denver injury law firm is committed to providing the support, guidance and representation you need to get through a very challenging ordeal.
What Our Auto Accident Attorneys in Denver Can Do for You
Not every Denver auto accident attorney can handle car accident cases with skill and experience. Our lawyers have 20+ years of experience handling car accident cases. We can put that legal experience to work for you in the following types of cases:
- 18-Wheeler Truck Accidents
- ATV Accidents
- Aviation Accidents
- Car Accidents
- Taxi Accidents
- Automobile Accident Injuries
- Types of Car Accidents
- Distracted Driving Accidents
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Head-On Collisions
- Multi-Vehicle Accidents
- Rear-End Accidents
- Single-Vehicle Auto Accidents
- Texting While Driving
- Bus Accidents
- Hit and Run Accidents
- Failure to Yield
- Motorcycle Crashes
- Truck Accidents
- Wrongful Death Cases
Contact a Denver Auto Accident Lawyer Today
For legal advice and assistance in your automobile collision case, call Levine Law at (303) 333-8000 to speak with an experienced Denver auto accident lawyer today, or contact us online now. Consultations are free and our firm handles car accident cases and other personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, which means that you will not be responsible for any fees unless we win your case.