Injured While Shopping in Denver? You May Be Entitled to Financial Compensation
Whether for pleasure or necessity, we all shop. We all have to buy things; and, when we do, we have to trust that store, mall and shopping center owners have taken reasonable steps to ensure our safety while we are on their premises. Unfortunately, too often, this trust proves to be misplaced, and serious injuries can result from slips, trips, collisions, impacts and other types of accidents.
If you were injured while shopping in Denver, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Under Colorado law, businesses and property owners are required to remedy dangerous conditions not only of which they are aware, but of which they should have been aware with the exercise of reasonable diligence. Failure to adhere to this standard is considered a form of negligence, and individuals who are injured while shopping can hold the business or property owner responsible for all of their injury-related losses.
Common Causes of Shopping Accidents
Although we rarely think about it, we face a number of potential safety risks every time we go shopping. From the parking lot to the check-out line, unexpected hazards have the potential to cause serious, painful and debilitating injuries. Some of the most common causes of shopping-related accidents include:
- Parking Lot Collisions and Pedestrian Accidents – Parking lots at malls and shopping centers can be hectic, and this means that they can also be very dangerous. From drivers racing to get the last parking spot or backing up without looking to accumulated snow and ice, various factors can present risks for unexpected accidents and injuries.
- Dangerous Sidewalks, Walkways and Store Entrances – Rain, snow, ice, cracks, changes in walking surface and elevation, recently-cleaned floors, doors that obstruct visibility and the flow of pedestrian traffic, and numerous other factors can create risks for slips, trips, collisions and other accidents on sidewalks, walkways, and at store entrances.
- Dangerous Stairways and Handrails – Stairs that are slippery or broken can cause dangerous falls, as can stair treads that are too small, stair risers that are too tall, and loose or broken handrails.
- Dangerous Elevators and Escalators – Elevator and escalator malfunctions can often result in severe traumatic injuries. The machinery in elevators and escalators must be meticulously maintained in order to protect shoppers against the unnecessary risk of harm.
- Dangerous Product Displays and Objects Overhead – Product displays that are unstable and take up space in walkways can result in falls, collisions with other shoppers and injuries from falling objects. Items that have been precariously placed on store shelves can fall and severely injure shoppers as well.
What to Do if You Were Injured While Shopping in Denver
If you were injured while shopping in Denver, the most important thing you can do is to seek medical attention as soon as possible. You should be sure to keep any clothes or personal items that were damaged in the accident; and, if you took pictures with your phone, make sure you do not delete them. You should also speak with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible, as hiring an attorney is the best way to make sure you receive maximum compensation for your injury-related losses. For a free, no-obligation consultation at Levine Law, call 303-333-8000 or send us your contact information now.