Denver Pediatric Malpractice Lawyers
As parents, we rely on pediatricians to help ensure that our children are healthy and will be able to grow without complications from illnesses and injuries. Yet, according to data from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), one in five pediatricians will face a malpractice lawsuit during his or her career. This is an alarming rate, especially when you consider that the rate climbs to one in two for pediatricians over the age of 50.
What else do parents need to know about pediatric malpractice? Also according to the AAP:
- Most pediatric malpractice claims involve injuries and illnesses suffered by children under 12 months of age, although older children face pediatric risks as well.
- Surgical errors are the most common form of pediatric malpractice, followed by obstetrics and gynecology errors, oncology errors, urology errors, gastroenterology errors and emergency room mistakes.
- While physicians make the overwhelming majority of pediatric errors, dentists, nurses and other health care professionals can face liability for pediatric care mistakes as well.
Experienced Attorneys for Pediatric Care Mistakes
If your child has been diagnosed with an illness or injury that you suspect could have been avoided with proper medical care, your family may be entitled to financial compensation. The financial and emotional costs of a pediatric mistake can be devastating, and in many cases can last for the child’s entire life. If a doctor or other medical professional’s mistake is responsible for your child’s medical condition, Colorado law entitles you to seek full coverage for your past and future medical bills as well as compensation for pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of earning capacity, and other losses.
Our attorneys have extensive experience representing families in cases involving birth injuries and other forms of pediatric malpractice. We handle cases against physicians and medical facilities throughout the Denver area, and we have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for a wide range of medical mistakes. If your family deserves to be compensated, we can stand up for your legal rights, and we can use our experience to win the compensation you deserve.
8 Most-Common Pediatric Malpractice Claims
As with all types of medical malpractice, when it comes to pediatric care, some mistakes are more common than others. These are the eight most common causes and effects of pediatric malpractice, based on data from AAP:
- Infant brain damage
- Errors during routine health checks
- Newborn respiratory problems
- Specified nonteratogenic anomalies
- Premature birth
Other common forms of pediatric malpractice include:
- Anesthesia and surgical errors
- Failure to properly diagnose and treat infections and diseases
- Medication errors (including overdose, harmful drug interactions, and prescription of wrong medications)
- Misdiagnoses and failures to diagnose (including failure to diagnose leukemia and other cancers)
Schedule a Free Pediatric Malpractice Consultation in Denver, CO
If you are concerned that your child’s disease or other medical condition may be the result of pediatric malpractice, we encourage you to contact us for a free, no-obligation consultation. To speak with an attorney in confidence, call 303-333-8000 or request an appointment online today.